Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Kids deserve it!


I came across this image one day in the holidays as I was scrolling on Facebook. Another one of my teacher friends had commented on  it, so I decided to read it and I am so glad that I did. This year I have made a conscious effort to regulate my behavior and energy in class. 

Once I read it, it made me reflect on my own attitudes and behaviors in class. I did notice that some times when I was at a point where I would raise my voice and reprimand students, they would be shocked/ taken aback. I think that I had always told myself that I was firm but fair but in hindsight, I was probably not as fair as I thought I was or should have been. I think at times I would fly off the handle a little bit and let my temper get the better of me, certainly far more often than I should. I think my behavior and reactions at times seemed erratic to the kids, and perhaps they felt uncomfortable knowing what the expectation was because I would go from joking and having fun to super serious quite suddenly. I realized that at times I was taking my frustrations out on the kids and that it wasn't fair. 

This year I have put this picture above my desk (not that I sit at it too often!) I look at it every day and I use it to help remind me that the kids will feed off my energy and that I am in charge of my own actions and emotions as the adult and the professional. I have found half way through last year when I changed my eating and exercise habits, my energy levels changed also. It was around this that I realized I was less irritable and just happier in general in class because i had more energy and was looking after myself better. I noticed the impact this had on the relationships with my students, so I knew that I was a major part of a problem that until that point, I didn't even know existed!! Funnily enough, it hasn't actually been that difficult or arduous a task, but conscious efforts have really made a massive difference to how I feel about my practice, my relationships with my kids and in turn their productivity and work output. 

Every day I have made a conscious decision to walk into school the happiest, warmest, best version of myself. Not just into the classroom, into school: through the halls, in the barn, in the car park, From the first kid arriving until the last kid has left, I am ready to explore and laugh with them all day. I'm constantly on the search for magical moments, full of high fives and radiating energy all around. I am ready to surround them with love, encouragement and hope. I am my best each and every single day - because the kids deserve it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment